Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Joy of Placenta

Okay, this may be a squeamish topic for some... But there ARE people out there who DO keep their placenta after giving birth to their children... Some bury them, some keep them in the freezer (and dunno do what), some make art printworks out of them, some cook them and eat them!

i'm not one of the brave ones who dare to make spaghetti sauce out of placenta meat and eat it with pasta(!!!), but i was very intrigued by the rumoured nutritional qualities of placenta and hey, it is said that all mammals eat their own placenta, right? After experiencing a terribly long and tiring recovery period for my first birth, i decided that i would try and harness the nutritional qualities of my second placenta to aid in my recovery from my second birth...

Thanks to the internet and a friend that i made from Asiaparents Forum who shared with me her experience with preparing placenta, this is what i learnt to do with it:

First, you have to freeze or chill the placenta as soon as possible after delivery :-) As my second child was born at home, i really wanted to chuck it into the freezer right after it popped out but... my doctor indicated that he wanted to examine the placenta at the hospital so my doula put it into a freezer bag with ice packs (which she had prepared in advance) and took it to the hospital for us. (She later took it home to freeze it for us and then sent it back to my place after my discharge from hospital)

Next, you have to clean it really well. (If chilled, prepare the placenta as soon as possible so it is "fresh". If frozen, of course must thaw first lah...) My confinement nanny graciously helped me to do this. We weren't really sure if there was a "proper" method of washing the placenta so we just rinsed it several times until the water ran clear (i.e. slightly pink instead of dark red). There was a huge blood clot/bloody tissue which my nanny threw away but in retrospect, i wasn't sure if we were supposed to keep that piece of blood thing :-b


This is what a cleaned placenta looks like


Now, some people find the smell of placenta a little urrgh, so the nice folks at Eu Yan Sang (actually somebody called Mr Ang who is quite knowledgeable about placenta preparation) gave me a small packet of herbs to use with it:


After squeezing half a lemon over the placenta and adding a capful of DOM (if you like), throw the herbs over the placenta together with a few slices of ginger (all these will help to dispel the unpleasant smell):

Squeezing the lemon in


What it looks like just before steaming


The next thing to do is to steam it over low heat for 20 minutes on each side (i.e. you steam it for 20 minutes, then turn the placenta over and steam again for another 20 minutes):


After the first 20 minutes



After steaming is completed on both sides - the placenta shrinks quite a bit!



Now what you need to do is to wait for it to cool down a bit and then slice it into thin pieces - as thin as you can - sort of like making beef jerky:





It really should be thinner than this - would make the drying process much easier!

Place the placenta strips on wax paper or a metal tray to dry out in the sun (best method), in an air-conditioned room (okay but watch out for dust and ants) or in a food dehydrator/oven on lowest setting.




This is how much one placenta yields - doesn't look like alot huh?


Drying the placenta strips on a metal tray under a light

You have to make sure that the strips are completely dry (feeling brittle to the touch) before pounding them into powder for consumption. Some people choose to eat this powder by, e.g. adding it to soup while cooking. i preferred to have it sent to Eu Yan Sang where they powdered the dried strips for me and then encapsulated the powder together with some ginseng for my consumption:


The final product!

Tip: Try encapsulating the placenta powder together with some ginseng (pao sheng) or cordyceps if you don't want the smell of placenta to be too overpowering.....





10 comments:

leaf said...

i comment :p
placenta looks a bit eww - but actually i wouldn't mind encapsulating mine, but certainly don't want to have to process it myself - more due to laziness then anything else. i didn't even get to see the placenta for both my births :|

Karmeleon said...

So how many capsules do you take a day? Have you finished off your stash already by now? ;-)

vteo said...

Hee, thanks for leaving your comments gals... Makes my blog a bit more exciting mah! ;-)

Sam, i take about 2 capsules a day - they seem to take forever to finish!! Btw, the placenta+ginseng combi is supposed to be quite heaty, so i can't take them when i'm having a sore throat or feeling under the weather....

Karmeleon said...

Usually mothers who've just given birth in the 1st month can take very heaty foods. Now that you're past 1st month, it might be different story, lah.

How many capsules was there in all in the 1st place?

vteo said...

Ooh... i'm not sure, didn't count. Possibly anywhere between 100 to 200?!?!

Ocean Deep said...

Gosh Vanessa, how natural your whole birth was and even eating your placenta, I''m impressed!!

Lesley said...

Hi Vanessa. Very interesting article. Now I am thinking of eating my own placenta. My baby is due next June. How did u ask Eu Yan Sang to encapsulate your placenta?

Jacyln Chan said...

HI Venessa,

I'm Jacyln from Yellow Pages. May I take you blog and place them on the new education and learning site for Yellow Pages Online?

I found you from the blog on The Asian Parent. We are now partners and I'm getting interesting content from their site. Our site isn't live yet but you can view it on www.damnsian.com for now

Please tell me if it is okay, we will direct the link back to your webpage

Ru Ping said...

Hi may I ask which outlet of Eu yan sang did you went to and how much does it cost? Any idea if they are willing to do from scratch (like from cleaning to capsule)? I am very interested...hehe
I went Eu yan sang to ask but they dont seem to understand what I was talking about...

the miracle, love does. said...

Hi,

May I know how much was the encapsulating process?
And which outlet was that?

Thanks.